Monday, March 20, 2006

Of Zeronski and Success

If A equals success, then the formula is A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut. -- Albert Einstein

No wonder I blog, chat online and contribute to a few online forums. I wanna make the formula complete, if only I could get the X correct. Guess it aint the same for Kenyan politicians and radio presenters. Do those guys ever shut their mouths? Anyway who is Einstein to define to us what success is? Isn’t he the same guy who came up with the relativity stuff? Hmmm methinks it’s just an excuse to be able to shift the goal whenever the likes of I fika there, successtopia. BTW how many people would consider me successful…..well, would I of all people? Nah nah nah, I mean that would be the day! And yeah success is relative. You can’t dump relatives, and you can quote me on that.

We buried one last week, an uncle, my mother’s brother, father to my cousins, a second father to me. A successful man he was, knew when to work, play and also when to keep his mouth shut (BTW he was one of the loudest dudes you ever saw). I will surely miss the guy, we all will. Generous to a fault, at least to me he was. Zeronski this is to you.

Zeronski’s sendoff wasn’t without its share of drama . Being a tough son of the soil, of course he had to be sent off with all the fanfare and deference that befits his stature. Everyone wanted a piece of him, and anyway wasn’t he their guy. The hearse’s siren was drowned by the cacophony caused by the wailing, whistles and horns (not car horns, natural ones). But the highlight of it all was this guy with a recorder (I always called it a flute), not because of his prowess in playing it, but rather for the opposite. Obviously charged with some hard stuff-the hardest and maybe reinforced by some hard smoke, the guy went on bragging how he played the instrument even in Europe. Challenging us even to ask Zeronski….duh! then he would burst forth in his rendition of Zeronski’s symphony in K minor- ever heard the noise a mbuzi makes when kicking its last……

All this just to bid you bye. Of course you couldnt see it all, you were lying smug in your pretty white casket. Well, Zeronski if you were reading this, then I would wish you a nice rest from the vagaries of this world. The cacophony, the chaos, miasma. The hypocrisy, double talk, name it. You lived your life well. Am just reminded of these sayings from…..you guessed well, Albert Einstein:

"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."

And that:

“Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile”

May we all follow Zeronski’s nyayos.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:48 am

    nice einstein quotes ... interesting satirical twists in your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is "mama mia!! You took your time to read this! Next time remind me to tell Carlito to give you some good pasta, and maybe some frapuccino for your trouble"
    avere un giorno piacevole.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heck this is a good Post and the quote is very much ok.

    Do you call blog play? jus for asking sake?

    And the post is tight. Ati Zeronski..what kind of name is that?

    And you don't seem to be mourning,or i am i missing something here?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shiroh,
    Thanks for the compliments, I very much liked the post myself, actually just a piece of my heart.

    Zeronski oh Zeronski, where art thou Zeronski? Well, thats my uncles pet name. If he were armenian he would be called Artur lol.
    Yeah, am not mourning, rather celebrating Zeronski. I did mourn, but now thats over, no need dwelling in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh shiroh,
    And the blogging is for keeping my mouth shut.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i dont know whether i shud laugh or empathize with your situation.
    a noteworthy issue that crops up from this, is the fact that somehow kenyans equate forays of whatever kind, taken in foreign lands and territories, as a measure of success or prowess.
    i wonder how this came to be,
    yani it like we dont have local benchmarks..
    yep i so wish all these politico-hotheads led by, u guessed it, agwambo would learn to shut up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. kritik,
    Well,its okay to laugh. Am afraid this post didnt capture the whole comedy that tempered that occasion.

    As for forays in foreign lands being equated to success, i think that comes from the fact that no-one wants to be labeled a village hero.
    As for the hot-heads....well, i reserve my comments. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete