Saturday, January 14, 2006

BOOTCAMP: We lick your boots
This has nothing to do with the military or any other such institution that is associated with bootcamps. Am not going to talk about elaborate military drills or the shouting of orders or any other such things, but hey just hear me out a little. It is said that imitation is the best form of flattery (or is it compliment). Why am I even talking about imitation in the first place? This is because as a wannabe writer, I don’t have a style of my own, language of my own dammit even the ideas I pen down are not my own but a plethora of thoughts from such renown scribes as Oyunga Pala and Clay Muganda, not to mention a myriad of individuals I consider my close buddies. Well, if there is anything as a copy cat, then am guilty as charged. Mea culpa mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. This reminds me of one common Kenyan trait-aping. Man! We are such copycats! Sellah….
We speak English in fake accents acquired after watching a few movies at the neighbours house. We squeeze into our baby sister's clothes so as to look a little bit like Halle Berry, in the process spilling out unsightly pot bellies and exposing cellulite infested thighs for the world to see. We churn out our own copycat versions of "Jay Z" and brand them as "celebs",our movies are fake….man! , The list is endless…..Is it any wonder that we have no cultural identity that is uniquely Kenyan. Are we maasai (ostensibly the cultural face of Kenya),africans or "Kenyan African Americans"???Hmmmm.
Well, so much for that. I guess, when it comes to imitation, I think we are high up the scale. In our case it ceases to be flattery. It is plain boot licking. Hey, welcome to the bootcamp. Here we lick the boots. We lick them clean. So for all of you nonKenyans, next time you are travelling to Kenya, don’t forget to carry your boots

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:27 pm

    no comment

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. They are very interesting.

    JR Woodward

    ReplyDelete
  3. ive chekad! my thoughts exactly. even in this boggy-blog world, we're all imitating other bloggers! you know! trying to get with this new blogesque vibe ...hmmm, or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. blueswift this topic raised my eye brows from afar. I was precisely thinking other things until i read the post then my heart stopped pacing. What a way with words. That was close.

    ReplyDelete